JUGENDSTIL POTTERY VASE
Height 14 inches .
Dramatic architectural design in white pottery.
Octagon pillar form with a pierced band at the rim, covered with a gilded metal mount formed from two narrow straps connected by four rectangular plaques modeled with acanthus leaves centered with a pomegranite. This metal mount is repeated at the base of the pillar. Raised on a flared foot with eight feet.
Impressed Max Roeler mark and "4765/3".
The Max Roesler factory was founded in 1894 at Rodach in Coburg, Germany. It made and decorated porcelain, pottery and stoneware.
It was established on modern socialist principles with benefits for the workers, participation in company decisions, clubs and societies, and health insurance. It was very productive and by 1900 one thousand designs were registered.
The Ist World War disrupted trade and led to the loss of many workers. Having no heirs, Max Roesler sold the factory in 1917, one year before the ceasefire and armistice of 1918.
|BACK: PORCELAIN : POTTERY : SILVER|